Monday, February 27, 2012

Post 100

This is the 100th post for Jollett Etc.  It only took 6 months to the day, she said sarcastically.  I doubt it’s a record.  Anyway, to celebrate this milestone, I’m going to look at what was shaking in Jollett land 100 years ago in 1912.


My maternal grandparents were ages 13 and 8; paternal grandparents were 11 and 5.  All but one attended school that year.
 
All 8 great-grandparents were living.  Stephen Slade was a truck-farmer in Virginia Beach.  John Walsh was an ordinance man for the Navy Yard.  Walter Davis was working as a carpenter.  Joseph Rucker was a  railroad conductor.  Wives were all keeping house.

Only 4 great-great grandparents were living:  Julia Slade, James Franklin Jollett and George and Segourney Eppard.  It surprises and saddens me that my grandparents didn’t know their grandparents.


Famous people were born:
  • Actor Danny Thomas
  • Actor Jose Ferrer
  • Perry Como
  • Gene Kelly
  • Dale Evans
  • Minnie Pearl
  • Vivian Vance
  • Julia Child
  • Art Linkletter
  • Pat Nixon
  • Lady Bird Johnson
  • Woody Guthrie
  • American artist Jackson Pollock
  • Hitler’s mistress Eva Braun

 Celebrities:
  • Al Jolson
  • Mary Pickford

Inventions:
  • The Life Saver candy
  • Hellman mayonnaise
  • Motorized movie cameras
  • Neon signs
  • Traffic lights
  • Zippers for clothes
  • X-rays discovered when doctors removed a nail from a boy's lungs

A year of firsts:
  • Mail carried by plane
  • Electronic Timing and Photo-Finish Equipment used in the Olympics
  • Cherry trees planted in Washington DC
  • Keystone Cops comedy

The political scene:

  • The last emperor of China forced to abdicate
  • Republic of China established
  • Arizona became the 48th state
  • Alaska organized as a territory
  • William Howard Taft was president until the election in November when Woodrow Wilson won as the first Democratic president in 20 years.

Disasters:
  • The sinking of the Titanic   




©2014, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

5 comments:

  1. I like the post! I look forward to doing something fun like this WHENEVER I hit my hund-o mark. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, congratulations on your hundredth post. Looking forward to many more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats for your 100th!!
    From a guy who recently went over the 2500 mark...
    You'll get over this,
    but it is rewarding to look back on your work.
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for you! I am really happy that you posted this; three of my grandparents were also born in 1912 and this August we are going to have a family gathering to celebrate my Grandma and Grandpa T. (but I'm going to sneak in my Grandpa J. too). I can use your facts somehow for the party. Thanks,

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is sad they didn't know their grandparents!

    Fun post!

    ReplyDelete